Sunday, February 20, 2011

Why are we here?

Dear Readers:

Please forgive my anti-government rant yesterday.  It just burns me up when a politician who hasn't prayed in years shows up at a National Prayer Breakfast in Washington because he thinks it will play well with the folks back home.  But that is not the true function of this blog.  The true intention is to minister to a wider audience, to show how high and how wide and how deep is the love of God.  My purpose here is to raise up the Creator, not tear down the creatures.

If you find something in these missives that inspires you, makes you think, or moves you to action, please take the time to post a comment.  If you would like me to weigh in on a particular topic, let me know that, too.  I truly want this to be a ministry, not a forum for me to let off steam.  And if you want to support our sponsors, that would be okay, too.

Sincerely,
Blynn

So why are we here? What is the purpose in life?  This question has been on the minds of people as long as there have been people.  In the 1600's, philosopher Rene Descartes wrote, "I think, therefore I am."  But that begs the question: does what you think determine who you are?  Shakespeare wrote, "To be, or not to be, that is the question."

The apostle Paul posed a similar question in Philippians, chapter one.  I think his imprisonment had started him thinking about his own death, and what that might mean.  I don't think he was suicidally depressed, because in verses 18 and 19 he says he will continue to rejoice, in that whatever happens it will "turn out for my deliverance."  If God allowed him to live, then Paul would have a great testimony of being delivered from his captors.  If God chose to take him home, Paul would then be delivered from suffering and human bondage.  This is the meaning of verse 21: "For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."

Paul was so emptied of himself and so full of Christ that it didn't matter to him what happened next--it was all to the glory of Christ.  Heaven holds wonderful benefits that the mind cannot conceive, but Paul knew that the people he would come into contact with in the future would need to know Christ--either for the first time, as in evangelism, or on a deeper level, as in discipleship.  Paul was well equipped for either task, and had shown himself capable of doing both.  But if God wanted to call him home, that was even better for him!

So what about you? Why are you here? Are you so wrapped up in your own problems and difficulties that you can't see any way out?  Be encouraged--God is bigger than your problems.  If you don't know Him personally, take the time to meet Him now.  I John 1:9 says "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."  Revelation 3:20 says "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If any man hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him, and sup with him."

See, God wants a relationship with you.  He has provided a way for us to reach Him, but the choice is ours.  Each of us must individually take Him at His word, and accept His offer of eternal life.  If you have not met God on His terms, and accepted His free gift of salvation, please do it today.  Just ask Jesus to come into your heart.  Use your own words, your own thoughts--God knows the heart, and he doesn't want lip service, he wants all of you.  Give yourself to Him today.

If you have already received Him as your personal Savior, spend some time with Him each day.  Talk to Him in prayer, and read the Bible.  It doesn't have to be much.  I read from a different passage each day.  To avoid boredom and complacency, I have divided the Scriptures into seven sections.  Each Sunday I will read one chapter from the books of Moses (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy.)  I know that if I read from Numbers every day, I would quit; so I read one chapter a week from this section  On Mondays I read from the books of history (Joshua, Judges, Ruth, I Samuel, II Samuel, I Kings, II Kings, I Chronicles, II Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, and probably Job, although that is part of the Wisdom literature).  I have been doing it for more than a year, so I am in I Samuel now, and looking forward to Monday to read how God delivered His people yet again.  Tuesdays is a chapter from Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and Song of Solomon (I could add Job in here, too, if I wanted).  Since Psalms is 150 chapters, I know before I start that it will take 3 years to read through the entire book.

Wednesdays I read one chapter from the Major Prophets (Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel). Thursdays I read one chapter from the Minor Prophets (Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habbakuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi).  Although this section has the most books, it is the shortest one--I will finish Zechariah soon and read Malachi, and then I will start over with Hosea.  Fridays I read one chapter from the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and I have added Acts in with this section.)  Saturdays I read from the Epistles, or letters from Paul, John and others (Romans, I and II Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, I and II Thesalonians, I and II Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Hebrews, James, I and II Peter, I, II, and III John, Jude and Revelation).

This has taken a while to explain, but is is really simple.  And I hope you don't think this is a boastful, "look what I do" statement.  It is meant to encourage you in your walk with Him.  Whatever method you use, find one that is meaningful to you and stick with it.  Be faithful, as God is faithful, and He will bless you richly. 

I'm not perfect.  I'm far from it.  But I am blessed by God, and that makes it all worthwhile.  God bless you in your walk with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment