Sunday, May 18, 2014

Somewhere between passing and perfection

                                                                        


I graduated college 30 years ago this month.  I must confess that as a freshman, I was more concerned with my GPA than I was at the end of my senior year.  I started out trying hard to reach perfection--I didn't reach it, but I was this close, and I felt good about it.  I ended up just doing enough to get out--my rationale was "even the person who graduates last in medical school is still called doctor."

It is clear that I did not take to heart the truth in 2 Timothy 2:15: "Study to show yourself approved to God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

Now I am older, and have two kids who have graduated college.  What advice to I give them?  The same advice found in Romans 12:2. "Do not be conformed to this world, but continuously be transformed by the renewing of your minds so that you may be able to determine what God's will is--what is proper, pleasing, and perfect."

Technology is advancing.  It is important to keep up your knowledge and skills, so that your career does not pass you by.  I have learned something about my profession this week that I have not known or done well since I began 24 years ago.  But it was a case of learn the new process, or start looking for another line of work.  It is amazing what your mind can do, given the proper motivation.

It is the same way spiritually.  We must follow hard after God, lest He leaves us behind.  I'm not talking about losing your salvation here--I believe that once I have given my life to Christ, I am kept by the Spirit, as a child of God, who will never leave me nor forsake me.  No, what I mean is that His perfect will is going to be accomplished, and we can either be in the vanguard, the forefront, or we will be in the rear guard.  In other words, we can step out in faith and be God's hero for our times, or we can be dragged behind, kicking and screaming.
By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family....By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even thought he did not know where he was going....By faith Abraham, even though he was past age--and Sarah herself was barren-- was enabled to become a father because he considered him faithful who had made the promise....By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh's daughter.  He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a short time.  He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, not fearing the king's anger; he persevered because he saw him who is invisible. --Hebrews 11:7a, 8, 11, 24-27
You may be saying, Wait.  These Old Testament heroes, they heard God's voice.  God audibly spoke to them, so they knew exactly what He wanted them to do.  I don't know about you, but God has never spoken audibly to me.  So how do I know what His perfect will is for me? How can I know what is proper and pleasing in His eyes?

I'm glad you asked.  If you want to know God completely, study what He said in His word.  "How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to your word.  I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you." (Psalm 119:9,11)

If you want to be called a friend of God, one with whom He speaks, be aware of some simple principles:

  • Be thankful.  "In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." (1 Thessalonians 5:8)
  • Be humble.  "He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.  And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly before your God." (Micah 6:8)
  • Be submissive.  "Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right.  For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men." (1 Peter 2:13-15)
  • Be hopeful.  "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm  you, plans to give you a hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)
  • Be sold out to God.  "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3:5-6)
In today's parlance, you hang out with your friends.  The friends of God hang out with him, and by doing so they become more like Him.  But when we don't spend time with Him, don't talk to him every day, don't read his word so He can talk to us--that's when all our works will be burned up as with fire.  "If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames." (1 Corinthians 3:15).

That, my friends, is the difference between passing and perfection.  As for me, I still don't have a perfect score in God's grade-book.  But I am running the race as one who will grasp the prize (cf 1 Corinthians 9:24).
Give me one pure and holy passion.
Give me one magnificent obsession.
Jesus, give me one glorious ambition for my life:
To know and follow hard after You.
To know and follow hard after You,
To grow as Your disciple in the Truth,
This world is empty, pale, and poor
Compared to knowing You my Lord.
Lead me on, and I will run after You.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment