You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. --1 John 4:4
In his commentary John for Everyone, NT Wright makes an astute observation. "In the world of business," he writes, "you can often tell how important someone is by finding out how many people you have to 'go through', as we say, in order to speak to them." If I wanted to speak to the chairman of a company, I would look up the phone number to the company. If I call the number, I may get a receptionist or, if the company is large enough, I may get their call center. If I ask to speak with the chairman, I may be transferred to a secretary. If I persist, I may be put through to an executive assistant. "And that's probably it for the day," Wright muses. "The Great Man is busy. Or he's in a meeting. Or he's playing golf, or taking a nap (no, they won't say that, but it might be the truth). Three, four or five people to charm your way around, and still you can't get there."
Thankfully, our access to God is not like that. Jesus says as much in John 16, beginning in verse 23.
And in that day you will ask Me nothing. Most assuredly, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in My name He will give it to you. Until now you have asked nothing in My name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full (John 16:23-24).
Jesus was saying that we have direct access to God the Father, because of our faith in Jesus, the Son of God. We can approach the Almighty with confidence, not fear. We can ask anything, not in our own position or standing before God, but in the name of Jesus. The fact that we have direct access to God should bring us joy.
We don't have to pray to Jesus to go to God on our behalf. I know that many people pray to Jesus as God, and that's fine, because Jesus is a divine Person of the Trinity. The point that Jesus is making here, though, is that the God of the universe is only a whisper away, because Jesus is our mediator. He bridged the gap between God and man, so that sinful man could stand before a holy God without fear.
Sadly, many people deny this truth. They believe that God is too important or too busy to hear our puny little prayers. Jesus, God's Son, is also too busy to be bothered by us. They end up praying to saints, people who have died and have absolutely no power to answer our prayers. They twist logic, somehow thinking that if they ask Mary, the mother of Jesus, then she will whisper something in His ear (like she did at the wedding at Cana) and then He will do something for us.
Scripture prohibits us from praying to anyone but God. Deuteronomy 18:10-11 says, "There shall not be found among you anyone...who inquires of the dead." Necromancy, or communicating with the dead, is strictly forbidden in Scripture (see Leviticus 19:31 and 20:9). Paul wrote to Timothy, "For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and man, the man Christ Jesus" (1 Timothy 2:5). In other words, God is all knowing and all powerful, never too busy to answer your prayers. He is not like a high-powered executive or CEO of a Fortune 500 company, where you have to go through five different secretaries, vice presidents, personal assistants, and only then will He hear your petition.
Jesus underscores this truth as John records His words:
These things I have spoken to you in figurative language; but the time is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figurative language, but I will tell you plainly about the Father. In that day you will ask in My name, and I do not say to you that I shall pray the Father for you; for the Father Himself loves you, because you have loved Me, and have believed that I came forth from God. I came forth from the Father and have come into the world. Again, I leave the world and go to the Father (John 16:25-28).
Jesus had taught the crowds with parables. In the upper room He has used symbolic language to get His point across. He had washed their feet as a symbol of humility and service; He had spoken of "the Father's house" to describe heaven; He had compared their relationship with Him as branches attached to a vine. He even described their coming trials as being like a woman giving birth. Warren Wiersbe writes, "Jesus explained that there would be a new situation because of His resurrection and ascension, and because of the coming of the Holy Spirit. He would no longer speak to them in terms that demanded spiritual insight for their understanding."
Wiersbe continues, "There would be not only a new situation in teaching, but also a new situation in their praying. He had already intimated this in John 16:23. Jesus would return to heaven to be with the Father, and there He would minister as our High Priest, making intercession for us (Romans 8:34; Hebrews 7:25)." (The Bible Exposition Commentary). Not only would He act as our High Priest, but He would also act as our Advocate (see 1 John 2:1) along with the Holy Spirit. "As our High Priest, Jesus gives us grace to keep us from sinning. As our Advocate, He restores us when we confess our sins. His ministry in heaven makes possible our ministry of witness on earth, through the power of the Spirit." (Wiersbe).
Somehow, the disciples who were listening to Jesus were focused on what Jesus had said about speaking plainly, and missed the point that Jesus was making about prayer. Maybe they were offended by His words, thinking that He was calling them stupid. They interrupted Jesus.
His disciples said to Him, "See, now You are speaking plainly, and using no figure of speech! Now we are sure that You know all things, and have no need that anyone should question You. By this we believe that You came forth from God" (John 16:29-30).
It was as if Jesus had told them, "I know I'm talking over your heads now, but one day you may catch up to what I am saying." Their response strikes me as, "Nuh-uh! We understand every word that comes out of Your mouth. You don't have to worry about us--we believe in You."
Jesus must have smiled, shaking His head. Knowing all things, He predicted that they would all fall away. Fortunately, this would not result in Him abandoning them. He would love them through the next few hours and days, and they would return to Him with their faith tested.
Jesus answered them, "Do you now believe? Indeed the hour is coming, yes, has now come, that you will be scattered, each to his own, and will leave Me alone. And yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me. These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world" (John 16:31-33).
Jesus knew that John, along with his brother James and Peter, would not be able to watch and pray with Him in the Garden. He knew that the rest of the disciples would scatter when Judas led the authorities to arrest Him. He knew that Peter would deny Him three times. It is striking, then, that knowing these things about them, that He loved them all dearly.
His next words to them were not words of condemnation or disappointment; instead He gave them words of encouragement. Bible commentator David Guzik writes, "When Jesus wanted to comfort and strengthen His disciples, He spoke of His victory, not directly their victory. This wasn’t 'cheer up' or 'try harder.' Jesus knew that His victory would be theirs." Scottish theologian Marcus Dods (1834-1909) wrote, "Nikeo (the Greek word translated "overcome") occurs only here in the Gospel, but twenty-two times in the Johannine Epistles and Apocalypse.” In other words, the thought that Jesus has overcome was precious to John.
"Knowing that Jesus has overcome the world brings us good cheer. It is the foundation for our peace in Him. We see that Jesus is in control, we see that although He leaves He does not abandon, we see that He loves, and we see that the victory is His. We can be of good cheer indeed" (David Guzik).
Today Jesus sits at the right hand of the Father (March 16:19, Romans 8:34, Ephesians 1:20, Hebrews 1:3) acting as our Advocate, our Mediator, and our Peace. Through faith in Him we can overcome all the trials and tribulations the world can throw at us.
No comments:
Post a Comment