Saturday, July 9, 2011

Jesus' identity with the Father, and with us.

Who exactly is Jesus?  Many of us identify with Peter, whose confession is found in Matthew 16.16: "You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God."  We have heard that verse and that statement so often that we just repeat it by rote.  But what does it really mean?  Do we actually know who Jesus is?

We as Christians place our faith in Jesus to save us from Hell and to give us access to Heaven.  We strive to be like Him in all that we do; but in order to do that, in order to really identify with Him, we must know Him completely.  Most of us don't take the time to explore that truth fully.

This week I read a short passage in the Gospel of John that is so deep, so full of meaning, that I have to share it here.  It really speaks to the identity of Jesus.
The Jews gathered around him, saying, "How long will you keep us in suspense?  If you are the Christ, tell us plainly."  Jesus answered, "I did tell you, but you do not believe.  The miracles I do in the Father's name speak for me, but you do not believe because you are not my sheep.  My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.  I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.  My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand.  I and the Father are one. (John 10.24-30)
In this passage are three great truths about the identity of Jesus.


Jesus' identity with the Father

Deuteronomy 6.4 is a phrase repeated in the daily prayers of all practicing Jews.  "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is One."  In the Hebrew, the first two words are Sh'ma, Yisrael, or "Hear, O Israel".  The Sh'ma is a ritual prayer in almost all Jewish services and synagogues.  It is something every Jewish child is taught, and certainly something every Jewish leader is familiar with.  It identifies them as mono-Theistic, as opposed to their pagan neighbors who worshiped many gods.

Yet here is a man who says he is sent from God, and is given authority to perform miracles by the One God that they serve.  This message is repeated twice, once in verse 25 (the miracles I do in my Father's name speak for me), and again in verse 32 (I have shown you many great miracles from the Father).  Only the creator of Nature could exhibit such power over Nature.  Only Nature's God had authority to do this.  Jesus used it as a proof that He was sent from God.

Yet he went a step further, stating in verse 30, "I and the Father are One."  In this way He showed that he was not some kind of Viceroy, sent in place of the King.  He was the King, sent in human form.  Follow me, here, because this is bed-rock important.  We do not serve three gods, whom we call the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.  All three of these "persons" or "personalities" or "entities" are actually One God.  This is a mystery that many could not comprehend in Jesus' day.  It is an enigma that still keeps many away from Christianity today.  Yet it gives us a certain comfort, as we will see later.


Jesus' identity as the Good Shepherd

Jesus said that the miracles He performed in the Father's name speak for Him, "but you do not believe because you are not my sheep.  My sheep hear my voice and listen to my voice, and they follow me.  I give them eternal life." (verses 26-28).  Jesus uses a metaphor of the shepherd.  It is the shepherd's job to take the sheep into the fold, and to keep them safe  from predators.  It is also the shepherd's job to keep out any creatures who don't belong to the herd, whether they be wolves (predators), goats (sheep wanna-be's), or other sheep (pretenders).

In this world, it may be hard to discern the "Not My Sheep" from the rest in the Church.  It may be impossible to completely separate yourselves from the "Goats" in the World.  It may seem impossible to avoid the "Wolves", but take heart.  Jesus is the Good Shepherd.  He will protect you from predators.  He will separate the Sheep from the Goats at the judgment.  And as for the "Not My Sheep"? Pray that they will see the error of their ways, and convert before it is too late.  At the day of judgment, you will not want to be labeled "Not My Sheep", and be sent to an eternity without God.

Jesus' identity as the Surety of our Faith

Because of Jesus' identity with the Father, he has all the powers available to the Father.  Verse 28 says, "I have given them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand."  The very next verse repeats the italicized phrase (emphasis mine), with one major difference: "no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand."  Do you see the interchangeability of the Son with the Father?  Do you see Jesus' total identity with God?  There is no discernible difference between the two phrases--they both mean the same thing: God holds us in His hand, and will not let us go for anything.  Yet at the same time there is a double guarantee--Jesus holds us in His hand, and God holds us in His hand.  What better security do we need?

Romans 8.35 says, "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?" The answer to Paul's rhetorical question is a resounding "NO!"  God is able to save us, and He is more than able to keep us.  This is what our Baptist friends mean when they talk about the security of the believer.  God provides the grace, and we respond by faith.  Nothing else is necessary.  "For by grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast." (Ephesians 2.8-9)

What say you?  Will you accept God's offer of grace?  Will you identify with Christ, who is identified with God?  Or will you be rejected as "Not My Sheep" in the final judgment? I pray you will accept Him, and grow in His grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment