Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Encouragement from The Rock

Peter, an Apostle of Jesus Christ, to God’s elect, strangers in the world, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by his blood: Grace and peace be yours in abundance. (I Peter 1.1, 2)
Dear Friends, 

My name is Peter; actually, it was Simon, but when I met Jesus, He gave me the nickname (kind of like Rocky), and it stuck.  I am an Apostle, which means I have a special message for all of you that I received directly from Jesus Christ Himself.  I remember sitting at His feet, hearing His words, and not understanding at first; but after he was crucified by the Jews and raised again by God, those words took on new meaning for me.

Anyway, I am sending this letter specifically to you Christians where this letter is read.  You are God's elect: that's a designation that Jesus gave to all of His followers.  I remember sitting with the others at the Mount of Olives, listening to Jesus talk about the end of the world, when God the Father would call us all to heaven.  He said, "And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other."  Brother, that's you!

You all are strangers in the world. Remember your Old Testament history? 1 Chronicles 29.15 says, "We are aliens and strangers in your sight, as were all our forefathers.  Our days on earth are like a shadow, without hope.”  I urge you all to live your lives before God only as a pilgrim passing through, just like the ancient Hebrews were--except the difference is that we do have hope in Christ.  Like it says in Psalm 39:12 “Hear my prayer, O Lord, listen to my cry for help; be not deaf to my weeping, for I dwell with you as an alien, a stranger, as all my fathers were.”

Not only are you strangers, but you are scattered to the four corners of the earth.  My brother in Christ and fellow Apostle James started his letter this way, too: "James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes scattered among the nations: Greetings." (James 1.1)  Do not be discouraged--I know you would all like to be together in one place, like we were together at Pentecost when the Spirit of God came upon me and I could speak to you in your native languages.  But God wants you to go to your own towns, to your own people, and share His Gospel.  I remember just before Jesus was killed, the Pharisees were trying to trap Him, and He said, "You will look for me, but will not find me; and where I am, you cannot come."  Then they said, "Where does this man intend to go that we cannot find him?  Will he go where our people live scattered among the Greeks, and teach the Greeks?"  Little did they know how prophetic their words would be!  

You people from Pontus--you were there at Pentecost.  Give hugs to Priscilla and Aquila there for me; they were such a blessing to our brother Paul in his ministry.  My love to those of you in Galatia, where Paul established the church there.  And greetings also to my brothers in Bithynia--Paul was preaching the Word throughout Asia, and he wanted to go from Galatia to Bithynia, but the Holy Spirit prevented him from going (see Acts 16.7).  Thanks be to God who sent others to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with you, as well.

I wanted to write to all of you who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father.  God knew before the creation of the world that you, my brothers, would commit your hearts to Him.  He knew that you would be made holy by His Spirit, which is in you.  He knew that you would obey the words of His Son, who sent me.  

You have been marked as ones belonging to Christ, as if His own blood has been sprinkled upon your hearts. Elsewhere it is written:
When Moses had proclaimed every commandment of the law to all the people, he took the blood of calves, together with water, scarlet wool and branches of hyssop, and sprinkled the scroll and all the people.  He said, ‘This is the blood of the covenant, which God has commanded you to keep.’  In the same way, he sprinkled with the blood both the tabernacle and everything used in its ceremonies.  In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.  (Hebrews 9:19-22)
I want you to just burst at the seams with God's grace and peace. May your lives overflow with love for Him. This is the message I have for you.  I am Peter; Greetings.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment