Thursday, August 15, 2013

Onward, Christian Soldiers

If only you would slay the wicked, O God!  Away from me, you bloodthirsty men!  They speak of you with evil intent; your adversaries misuse your Name. Do I not hate those who hate you, O Lord, and abhor those who rise up against you?  I have nothing but hatred for them; I count them my enemies.  Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.  See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. --Psalm 139:16-24
I love my wife and kids.  I would stand up and denounce anyone who spoke evil of them.  Most people would.  I love my extended family, my "clan".  Aside from a few "black sheep" in my family, I would quickly come to their aid if they had a need.  By and large, I'll bet you would, too.  On a larger scale, I love my country.  I hate to hear anyone disparage America, the greatest land on Earth.  Wherever you live, I'll bet you know someone who has joined the military, whose job it is to defend your country to the death.

Why, then, are we so timid about defending our faith?  The Christian world stands against those who would wipe us out, either politically (see Secular Humanism) to make us irrelevant, or physically (see Islamic Jihad). Is it because of some polite convention, as in "it is not proper to discuss politics or religion"?  Is it some misguided idea that since God is Love, we should not ever show anger or hatred?  Listen, Beloved, the opposite of Love is not Hate--the opposite of Love is Indifference.  There are people in the Middle East who would love to wipe you out because of your Christian beliefs.

Am I, then, advocating that Christians take up arms and start shooting Muslims? By no means!  That is not what the Scripture says at all.  Look at verse 16 again: "If only YOU would slay the wicked, O God."  The psalmist knew that those who have been wronged are not to avenge that wrong by their own hand, but to leave it to the Lord, who says "Vengeance is mine; I will repay." (Deuteronomy 32:35).  Proverbs 20:22 says, "Do not say, I'll pay you back for this wrong!  Wait for the Lord, and he will deliver you.  Paul said in Romans 12:19, "Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: It is mine to avenge: I will repay."

What I am saying is that we should be more passionate and less passive.  When the culture casts aspersions at Christians, we should stand up and be counted.  Paul said to his protege (some youngsters say mentee, as in Paul was the Mentor, and Timothy the Mentee, but that construct sets my teeth on edge) in 2 Timothy 2: 15, "Do your best to present yourself to God as one who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth."  We should not argue for the sake of argument, but rather pick our battles.  Perhaps that is why God has allowed the militant Muslim to live--so that he may have an opportunity to be won over by your good words.  But that presupposes that we would take the argument to them, and not shrink back in shame.

Do you think Jesus had no enemies?  There were always people during his lifetime that wanted to kill him.  It was out of grace that he didn't take up arms against them.  We all like to quote Matthew 5:44, "But I tell you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."  But we shouldn't stop there; Jesus goes on to explain why we should pray for them in verses 45 trough 48:
So that you may be sons of your Father in heaven.  He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.  If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?  And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans to that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
It's a cop-out, then, so hide behind the line, "I'm not perfect; I'm only human."  Jesus told us to be perfect just like God.  That's why the passage ends with, "Search me, and know my heart; see if there is any offensive way in me."  Jesus said it another way: "Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." (Matthew 6:33)  If we are truly seeking His kingdom, then we may find opportunities to stand against His enemies.  We should do so with wisdom and preparation, having put on the whole armor of God (Ephesians 6:11).  Why would the Bible tell us to put on armor, and to take up offensive weapons (the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God) if God expected us to shy away from confrontation?

It takes wisdom to avoid being obnoxious about the gospel, thus turning people off to God's message.  It takes discipline and training, much like our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines.  A Marine is taught to be a killing machine, yet the Rules of Engagement may specify what to do in certain situations.  A Soldier who killed everyone in sight would not be hailed as a hero, but rather arrested as a war criminal.  Maybe that is why the psalmist expressed fear and trepidation when he said, "know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me..."  We are called to be a sweet aroma of salvation, not a stinking pile of garbage.

What did Jesus say to Simon Peter? "You are a rock (petros), and upon that Rock I will build my Church, and the gates of hell will not prevail against it."  Be bold.  Be strong.  Be wise, and prudent in your use of Scripture.  But use it to your advantage, so that all men may know, for "It is not God's will that any should perish."
1. Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war, 
 with the cross of Jesus going on before. 
 Christ, the royal Master, leads against the foe; 
 forward into battle see his banners go! 
Refrain: 
 Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war, 
 with the cross of Jesus going on before. 

2. At the sign of triumph Satan's host doth flee; 
 on then, Christian soldiers, on to victory! 
 Hell's foundations quiver at the shout of praise; 
 brothers, lift your voices, loud your anthems raise. 
 (Refrain) 

3. Like a mighty army moves the church of God; 
 brothers, we are treading where the saints have trod. 
 We are not divided, all one body we, 
 one in hope and doctrine, one in charity. 
 (Refrain) 

4. Crowns and thrones may perish, kingdoms rise and wane, 
 but the church of Jesus constant will remain.
 Gates of hell can never gainst that church prevail; 
 we have Christ's own promise, and that cannot fail. 
 (Refrain) 

5. Onward then, ye people, join our happy throng, 
 blend with ours your voices in the triumph song. 
 Glory, laud, and honor unto Christ the King, 
 this through countless ages men and angels sing. 
 (Refrain)  

No comments:

Post a Comment