Monday, July 28, 2014

Ten Simple Rules, or why we say grace before we eat

Good morning, Father.  Thank you for another day of life.

In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path.

Thank you, God, for this good coffee and doughnut.

In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path.

Lord, I need your blessing and your favor in my job today.  Please help me make good decisions, and give me your wisdom and discernment on what tasks to start and which ones may be left for tomorrow.

In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path.

Thank you, God, for this lunch.  I know it's just leftovers (or frozen dinner, or a dollar burger), but your word says, "But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that." (1 Timothy 6:8)

In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path.

Lord, I heard that my co-worker had to leave early because her kid is in trouble again.  But instead of gossiping about it to someone else, I thought I'd whisper a prayer for her.  She's fighting a battle that is bigger than she is, but you are stronger than anything we can come up against.  Be her strength, Lord.

In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path.

God, every day I drive through this intersection, I see that man on the corner with the sign that says, "God bless."  Today I think I'll roll down my window and give him a few dollars.  Thank you for blessing me enough that I don't have to stand out on a corner and beg, for giving me enough to share with this man, and for being a blessing to us both today.

In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path.

That car just almost ran over me!  Whew, that was close.  Thank you, Lord, for watching over me--I could have been hurt.  And please let that person get where they are going safely.

In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path.

God, we are grateful for the dinner you provided, the table on which we can enjoy it, and for the family/friends who share it with us.

In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path.

Father, after the dishes are washed, and a that load of laundry is folded, and the kids' homework is done, and I run that errand I was supposed to get done today, and I visit with someone on the phone--after all that, I'm exhausted and want to just sit on the couch and relax.  Let me read a devotional on line before I go on that social media site, or read a chapter out of the Bible before I turn on the television.

In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path.

No, I haven't heard that shock-jock on the radio, I haven't seen that new television show that pushes the boundaries of what the FCC will allow on the air, I haven't had time to see that movie with all the violence, sexuality, and harsh language.  Oh, I know that millions will eat that stuff up, and not be affected by it.  But the more I try to keep up with the tabloids, or the news cycle, or whatever is trending now, the less time I have with the One I love.

In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path.

_______________________________________________

**Disclaimer**  In the above scenarios, the term "I" is used generically.  Regrettably, this writer does not maintain the attitude of seeking first His kingdom and His righteousness all the time.  But God is faithful to his word, and if the dear reader or this intrepid writer did seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, then all that we truly need would be available to us always.
________________________________________________

Paul gave these simple instructions to the church in Thessalonica:
  • Rejoice always (1 Thessalonians 5:16)
  • Pray constantly (1 Thessalonians 5:17)
  • Give thanks in all circumstances (1 Thessalonians 5:18a)
  • Remembering this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you (1 Thessalonians 5:18b)
  • Do not quench (or stifle, or extinguish) the Spirit (1 Thessalonians 5:19)
  • Do not treat prophecies with contempt (1 Thessalonians 5:20)
  • But test them all (1 Thessalonians 5:21a)
  • Hold on to what is good (1 Thessalonians 5:21b)
  • Reject every kind of evil. (1 Thessalonians 5:22)
  • Brethren, pray for us. (1 Thessalonians 5:25)
The verses are short--why not memorize them?  The content is deep--why not meditate on them? These ten simple rules can change your attitude, give you fortitude, and minister to the multitude. In the middle of these admonitions, Paul blessed them with the reason his instructions should be followed.
May may the God of peace make you holy in every way, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless until our Lord Jesus Christ comes again.  God will make this happen, for He who calls you is faithful. --1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 (NLT)
In the Old Testament, God instructed His people to remember His words, and to pass them down from generation to generation. "Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home, and when you walk along the road, and when you lie down, and when you get up." (Deuteronomy 6:7).  What is the benefit of talking constantly about God's promises? Look back at the top of the page, and read it all again.

No comments:

Post a Comment