Saturday, February 6, 2016

Don't Feed The Beast

Image result for photo scott from scott's feed it

Here we are approaching mid-February, and already I'm dreading Springtime.  Yes, the longer days and warmer temperatures will be welcome.  So will the budding of the trees and greening of the grass, which is nice--but there's the rub.  

As Spring approaches, we will again be accosted in all media outlets by a demanding redhead calling himself Scott.  Conveniently, he is a spokesman for Scotts, a brand of lawn care products.  Scott the spokesman will be hawking his wares, obnoxiously demanding that the listener "Feed your lawn." As if we didn't get the message the first time, he underscores the message with the tag line "FEED IT!" That over-the-top delivery in the fake Scottish accent just grates on my nerves, like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Oh, that I would have the same response to the devil, when he tempts me to feed my fleshly desires. A green lawn does not entice me, at least not enough to do the work necessary to weed-and-feed like a greenskeeper at a golf course.  But I know in my mind that Springtime also means less clothing and more skin showing, if you know what I mean.  I think it was Shakespeare who said, "In the Spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love."  I am not a young man any more, and my love for my wife is more mature, less seasonal.  Nevertheless, there is the temptation to gaze upon younger couples of child-bearing age, and long for times past.  The devil is less obnoxious than Scott, but his message is the same:  "Feed your lust.  FEED IT!"

The Bible warns against this mind-set.  Paul said, "But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh to its lusts." (Romans 13:14).  If we provide for something, we give it sustenance.  A hundred fifty years ago settlers and gold prospectors would gather up provisions on the back of a horse or mule, and set out.  Those provisions would sustain them during their journey, until they reached their desitnation or struck it rich.  So when Paul said, "make no provision for the flesh", he wasn't telling us to go without food or water.  He was telling us not to feed our lusts.  If we starve the beast that is within us, it is easier to overcome it.

When the Pilgrims first came to the New World, their charter made many references to God, using a unique name for Him. The name most frequently used by them was Providence.  One of the original 13 Colonies, Rhode Island, has the name Providence as its capitol.  I like that name.  It reminds us that God provides for us.  As such, we should return our thanks and praise to Him.  He should be our focus, our driving force, our strongest desire.  

Do not be overcome with fleshly desires, brothers.  Surround yourself with strong Christian men who will help you focus on God, and not on the world.  "Encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called "Today", so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin." (Hebrews 3:13).

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go outside and pull up those dandelions in the front yard before they go to seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment