Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Know the Needs--Do Good Deeds

Image result for meme csi

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus, who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds.  --Titus 2:11-14
You know of Jesus of Nazareth, how God anointed Him with the Holy Spirit and with power, and how He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.  --Acts 10:38
I love a good mystery.  I grew up reading the Hardy Boys series, and when I couldn't find any more of those to read, I started reading Nancy Drew mysteries.  In high school I read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Edgar Allen Poe, and Charles Dickens.  When I was in college I discovered Ellery Queen (Google it!).  As an adult I enjoy John Grisham and Robert Parker.

On television, I watched Perry Mason, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and Dragnet.  More recently I have seen CSI, Criminal Minds, and NCIS.  There is a great sense of satisfaction when I pick the prime suspect before they do.

As every fan of the genre knows, you must find three things to find the prime suspect and solve the case.  First, you must find motive.  Second, one must have means.  And third, one must have opportunity.  You can't leave any one of these elements out.

A teacher is killed, say.  If an entire classroom of students hates the teacher, they may all have motive. If all those who attend the class will see him every day, they all have opportunity.  But you cannot convict any one of them without a the means to shoot him, aka "the smoking gun."  Similarly, if a woman goes missing, the primary suspects are those that might hold a grudge (motive) and a weapon (the means).  But if an old boyfriend was in another state when the woman went missing, he had no opportunity (aka, "has an alibi").  Finally, killing a loved one accidentally with a gun, say, or a car without any motive (even if you had means and opportunity) would not land a murder conviction--the worst that could happen to them would be a charge of manslaughter or accidental death.

The problem with all of the mystery books and dramas I have cited is that they involve violent death.  A moral person would not identify too closely with the killer, because killing is not in our nature.  "You shall not commit murder" is the sixth commandment.  We may be intrigued by what goes through a person's mind to lead them to such a violent act, but we are just as interested in the logic and forensic science utilized by the detective who brings the killer to justice.

Wouldn't it be cool if there was someone in your church or social group who committed random acts of kindness?  A couple in my daughter's church decided to pay off some of her student loans.  They wanted to remain anonymous, but curiosity won out.  What did we look for?  People with motive--those who loved my daughter (that's just about everybody).  People with means (that narrowed the list of "suspects" dramatically.)  And people with opportunity.

I have thought recently about what I would do if I won the lottery.  The more my debts pile up, the more I fantasize about being a person of more sizable means.  I would love to be able to hear about a need and take care of that need without anybody knowing it.  I would really enjoy studying people and then presenting them with a meaningful gift--paying the light bill for a struggling family whose electricity has been cut off; paying rent for the rest of the year for a person who is facing eviction; buying a new car for someone so they can get to work reliably.  The problem is my fantasies turn into an excuse.  I can't pay your rent, so I won't do anything.  But then I read Philippians 4:19: "And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus."  If I have motivation to serve, then God will help me to meet the needs of my neighbor.  I could be their answer to prayer.  I could be the hand of God in their life.

There are people with needs everywhere.  Opportunity abounds.   In fact the world is so full of needs that it can be overwhelming.  We see everyone everywhere, seemingly all with their hands out asking for something.

If we were really motivated to be like Jesus, we would see people's needs, and do what we can to meet them.  Paul wrote in Colossians 3:17, "Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father."

You see, we don't have to wait until we are rich to start giving people what they need.  I can't afford to pay off someone's car, but I can buy their lunch when they are hungry.  And it doesn't have to be about money, either.  When Jesus saw someone who was sick, did He pay their doctor bill?  No.  He healed them.  In the same way, if your neighbor has a project at work that requires him to put in long hours on nights and weekends, don't just complain about his lawn--mow it!  If your co-worker has to get her car serviced, offer to drive her to work with you--you're going there anyway.

When my daughter was in high school, a neighbor was going to be in the hospital for awhile.  The neighbor offered my daughter a little money to watch her cat for her.  She was to make sure the animal had food and water, and she was tasked with changing the litter box.  For some reason (church camp, I think) my daughter wasn't able to complete the tasks for the entire time the neighbor was out.  So I said I would help.  Did I mention I hate cats?  Nevertheless, I fed and watered the beast, and even changed the litter box.  Was it for my daughter?  Yes and no.  Was it for the money?  I didn't get a dime.  It was a kindness to a neighbor.  It was because I saw a need (opportunity), because I could (means), and because I said I would (motive).

Here's an idea.  Let's have a CSI team in every church.  Their job would be to find someone who had their need met by a stranger.  They would investigate anybody with means, motive, and opportunity to do the good deed in question.  If they found out who it was, then the CSI team could refer them to a Court of Blessing.  They could commend them to the One and Only True Judge.  It might convict the members of the jury to do good themselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment