Monday, August 21, 2017

Famous Last Words

Image result for photo famous last words
For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive.  But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ's at His coming, then comes the end, when He hands over the kingdom to the God and Father, when He has abolished all rule and all authority and  power.  For He must reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet.  The last enemy that will be abolished is death.  --1 Corinthians 15:22-26
When Groucho Marx was dying, he let out one last quip:  "This is no way to live!"  As Benjamin Franklin lay dying at the age of 84, his daughter told him to change positions in bed so he could breathe more easily, to which Franklin responded, "A dying man can do nothing easy."  When convicted murderer James Rodgers was put in front of a firing squad in Utah, he was asked if he had a last request.  He replied, "Bring me a bullet-proof vest."

No one can control events as their life ebbs away.  Whatever control they had in their lifetime is lost at the end.  Marie Antoinette stepped on the executioner's foot on the way to the guillotine.  Her last words were, "Pardonnez-moi, Monsieur."

One can try to put his or her affairs in order, but how can you truly prepare for the unknown?  You can have faith, but you can't rely on first-hand testimony of others who have gone before you, because "No one has seen God and lived."

Over the last few weeks I have read the story of David, king of Israel.  Yesterday I read 2 Samuel chapter 23, and these words caught my eye:  "Now these are the last words of David." (2 Samuel 23:1a).   David is one whose life had seen a lot of victories.  From slaying Goliath to evading Saul to wiping out the Philistines, David seemed to always come out on top.

At the end of his life, however, things had started spiraling out of control.  From the time of Bathsheba onward, the sword never left his household:  his son Amnon raped David's daughter Tamar; another son Absalom took vengeance on his sister, and killed Amnon; after spending some years in exile, Absalom returned to Jerusalem with the goal of killing his father and taking hold of the throne by force.  When Absalom died, David was inconsolable--his general Joab had to yell at him to straighten up, to congratulate the army that had but down Absalom's rebellion, lest they lose face.  David gave no thought to the morale of his fighting men.  His favorite son, whose name means "his father is peace" was caught in a thicket by his long, flowing hair, and was run through by the sword.

This man recorded these final words:
Now these are the last words of David.  David the son of Jesse declares, the man who was raised on high declares, the anointed of the God of Jacob, and the sweet psalmist of Israel, "The Spirit of the Lord spoke by me, and His word was on my tongue.  The God of Israel said, the Rock of Israel spoke to me, 'He who rules over men righteously, who rules in the fear of God, is as the light of the morning when the sun rises, a morning without clouds, when the tender grass springs out of the earth, through sunshine after rain.'  Truly is not my house so with God?  For He has made an everlasting covenant with me, ordered in all things, and secured; for all my salvation and all my desire, will He not indeed make it grow?"  --2 Samuel 23:1-5.
Indeed, David had sung the very words of God.  The Psalms include admonitions to morality, praise to God for all good things, vows to bring enemies to justice, and prophecies that even included a prophecy about the death of Jesus Christ (see Psalm 22).  He had been a spokesman for God.  He had been set up by God as the ruler of all the people.  As king, David had expanded the borders of Israel.  He had been very blessed.

Still, I can't help but think about the way his life had gone there toward the end.  Everything he had worked for all his life seemed to be spiraling out of control.  Have you ever felt that way?  I know I have. Yet look again at verse 5.  "Truly is not my house so with God?"  What does he mean, "so"?  He compared it in verse 4 to the light of a sunrise on a cloudless morning in springtime, when little grass shoots pop out of the earth after an evening shower.  In his God there is life.  With all the death and blood and muck of the battlefields David had led his armies through, God brought him peace.

Not only peace, but order.  The word "order" means "to arrange, set or put or lay in order, set in array (as in a battle), prepare, order, ordain,  handle, furnish, esteem."  Remember how David's life was spiraling out of control?  His faith remained grounded in God.  It was God who made the everlasting covenant.  It was God who ordered all things, and made them secure.  That secure covenant would nourish and protect his longing and desire to see God, to know His salvation.  The salvation of God, in turn, would spring forth as a sprout or young plant.  Rooted in that covenant relationship, David felt secure.

Friend, no matter how bad your circumstances are, or how much your life seems to be spiraling out of control, remember God's promise.  He is our hope and our salvation.  He is our shield and defender.  When we are grounded in him, our lives can take root and grow, and our hearts' desires will bear fruit to abundant and everlasting life in Him.
All My Hope
Light in my darkness
Peace for my soul
You are my rescue
You never let go
Light in my darkness
Peace for my soul
You are my rescue
You never let go
All my hope is in You
All my strength is in You
With every breath
My soul will rest in You
Here in my weakness
Always the same
Your love is my shelter
Your life is my way
All my hope is in You
All my strength is in You
With every breath
My soul will rest in You
Constant Savior
Friend forever
Lord You have my heart
Sure foundation
Never failing
Lord You have my heart
All my hope is in You
All my strength is in You
With every breath
My soul will rest in You
All the earth beneath You
All my life before You
With every breath
My soul will rest in You
With every breath
My soul will rest in You
Songwriters: Jason Ingram / Reuben Morgan
All My Hope lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Spirit Music Group, Essential Music Publishing, Capitol Christian Music Group
 

No comments:

Post a Comment