Sunday, March 18, 2018

Oh the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God

Related image
The Lord your God in  your midst, the Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.  --Zephaniah 3:17
I have recently picked up the guitar again.  I have never been the best player, but I do so enjoy singing Praise and Worship songs.  There is something about engaging in the act of worship and ministry through song.  I have been playing bass guitar for the last six months in a home-church setting, more as a back-up to the worship leader rather than taking a lead myself.  It has been a blessing for me.

I also love to hear live music.  I confess that I listen to talk radio in my car rather than listen to pre-recorded music.  Hearing a song on the radio is like reading yesterday's newspaper.  It was exciting, it was great in the moment, but my heart's desire is for something fresh, new, and alive.

A friend of mine has introduced me to a song by Cory Asbury.  I am trying to learn to play it on guitar, but so far all I can play is the bass part.  I love to play it, though, because it has such a great message.
Reckless Love
Before I spoke a word, You were singing over me
You have been so, so good to me
Before I took a breath, You breathed Your life in me
You have been so, so kind to me
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God
Oh, it chases me down, fights 'til I'm found, leaves the ninety-nine
I couldn't earn it, and I don't deserve it, still, You give Yourself away
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God, yeah
When I was Your foe, still Your love fought for me
You have been so, so good to me
When I felt no worth, You paid it all for me
You have been so, so kind to me
And oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God
Oh, it chases me down, fights 'til I'm found, leaves the ninety-nine
And I couldn't earn it, and I don't deserve it, still, You give Yourself away
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God, yeah
There's no shadow You won't light up
Mountain You won't climb up
Coming after me
There's no wall You won't kick down
Lie You won't tear down
Coming after me
There's no shadow You won't light up
Mountain You won't climb up
Coming after me
There's no wall You won't kick down
Lie You won't tear down
Coming after me
There's no shadow You won't light up
Mountain You won't climb up
Coming after me
There's no wall You won't kick down
Lie You won't tear down
Coming after me
There's no shadow You won't light up
Mountain You won't climb up
Coming after me
There's no wall You won't kick down
Lie You won't tear down
Coming after me
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God
Oh, it chases me down, fights 'til I'm found, leaves the ninety-nine
And I couldn't earn it, I don't deserve it, still, You give Yourself away
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God, yeah
Songwriters: Caleb Culver / Cory Asbury / Ran Jackson
Reckless Love lyrics © Bethel Music Dba Bethel Music Publishing 
Isn't that great? Jeremiah 1:5 says, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations."  Just in case you thought that was a specific verse for one specific Old Testament prophet named Jeremiah and him only, look at Psalm 139:15-16.  "My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth; Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them." (Emphasis mine).  God knew you and loved you before you were conceived.

It doesn't stop there.  After we were born, God made sure that He revealed Himself to us in a way that we could understand.  His relentless nature is described in a story Jesus told in Luke 15:4-7
What man among you, if he has a hundred sheep and has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open pasture and go after the one which is lost until he finds it?  When he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing.  And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, "Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!"  I tell you that in this same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.
 In the Genesis 1 account of creation, God set about creating the world and everything in it.  "God made the beasts of the earth after their kind, and the cattle after their kind, and everything that creeps on the ground after its kind; and God saw that it was good." (Genesis 1:25).  However, at this point, God had not yet made man.  After He made man from the dust of the earth, and after He breathed life into him, after He had "created man in His own image...male and female He created them," (Genesis 1:27)--after that grand finale of the masterpiece of creation, "God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good." (Genesis 1:31, emphasis added).  God did good in His creation, but He was most proud of us.  We are His favorite.

Things got a little dicey once we were left on our own.  We disobeyed God.  We turned our back on Him, broke fellowship with Him.  We chose to live in darkness, knowing He is light.  We chose to live in sinfulness, knowing He is holy and pure and righteous.  We chose to distance ourselves from His dwelling place.  Then we cursed Him.  "Where is God?" we asked, defiantly.  "He doesn't care about us.  If God really loved us, He wouldn't allow so much darkness, so much evil, so much distance between us and Him."

Through it all, God had set a redemptive plan in place before the creation of the world.  When the time was right, He sent His only Son to earth to live among us, yet without sin.  That Son, Jesus, preached light to the darkness.  He forgave sins.  He bridged the gap between sinful man and holy God.  Then He died for us, taking on the punishment for all of our sins.  All. Of. Them.

Once again, in a grand finale of redemption and re-creation, Jesus rose to life again after being dead in the ground for three days.  By this divine act, He fully demonstrated the power of God: power over death, power over sin, power over darkness.  No wonder the song repeats the phrase, "There's no shadow You won't light up, Mountain You won't climb up Coming after me; There's no wall You won't kick down, Lie You won't tear down Coming after me."  His love truly is overwhelming and never-ending and relentless.

The songwriter does not use the word "relentless" like I did.  He used the word "reckless".  God took a chance.  He went all in.  He gambled big, laying His very life on the line for you.  What are you gonna do?  Will you lay all your cards on the table and admit that you have nothing without Him?  Or are you still trying to play the game, trying to win at life without Him?  See, "reckless" describes a person who acts without thinking or caring about the consequences to himself.  God's redemptive act was reckless, in that He gave His life for you, but you could still turn away from Him.  Thank God He is also relentless, pursuing you until your last breath.  He will leave the ninety-nine to come and find you wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment