Sunday, September 15, 2019

Hymns and Spiritual Songs

Image result for images hymn have good theology
...But be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart...  --Ephesians 5:18b, 19
This morning my wife and I were in the car discussing the fact that we missed using hymnals in worship.  While placing song texts on screens has the advantage of having all eyes toward the front of the sanctuary during worship, the drawbacks are more numerous. 

First, there is no encouragement for harmonies.  Reading the parts in the hymnbook growing up contributed to my appreciation of music.  Even though my natural vocal range is that of a tenor, reading the bass line and occasionally even the alto line helped me to appreciate the other voices as well as gave me practice in skills such as language skills and problem solving.  (Making sense out of musical intervals is much like breaking a code; it uses the same part of the brain as learning a different language.)

Second, and perhaps more importantly, the use of screens at the front of the worship center has encouraged the singing of choruses, placing more importance on repetition of religious sounding  phrases than sound theology.  This "dumbing down" of worship has come at a cost.  I believe that people flock to churches where they are entertained more than taught the Word.  I know, because I fell victim to this scam for many years.

There is a great deal of theology taught in the traditional hymns.  Consider this song, which used to be the first one in every Baptist hymnal.
Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty!
Early in the morning our song shall rise to thee;
holy, holy, holy! merciful and mighty,
God in three persons, blessed Trinity!
Holy, holy, holy! All the saints adore thee,
casting down their golden crowns around the glassy sea;
cherubim and seraphim falling down before thee,
who wert and art and evermore shalt be.
Holy, holy, holy! Though the darkness hide thee,
though the eye made blind by sin thy glory may not see,
only thou art holy; there is none beside thee,
perfect in power, in love, and purity.
Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty!
All thy works shall praise thy name, in earth and sky and sea;
holy, holy, holy! merciful and mighty,
God in three persons, blessed Trinity!
Yes, it has archaic language, but so does classic literature.  Do we stop studying Chaucer and Shakespeare because people no longer speak that way?  Setting that aside for a moment, this hymn is a way to commit scripture to memory.  There are direct references to 1 Samuel 2:2, Psalm 5:3, and Lamentations 2:3; there are also allusions to Revelation 4:6-11, Revelation 5:13, Revelation 15:2-4, and Isaiah 6:1-3.

As we were driving this morning, my wife looked up Keith Green on YouTube.  He was a recording artist and worship leader in the 1970's.   He recorded a version of this great hymn, and when we listened to it together, we remembered his great voice.  The next song we listened to was a hymn written by Keith Green himself:
There is a redeemer
Jesus, God's own Son
Precious Lamb of God, Messiah
Holy One
Jesus my redeemer
Name above all names
Precious Lamb of God, Messiah
Oh, for sinners slain
Thank you, oh my father
For giving us Your Son
And leaving Your Spirit
'Til the work on Earth is done
When I stand in Glory
I will see His face
And there I'll serve my King forever
In that Holy Place
Thank you, oh my father
For giving us Your Son
And leaving Your Spirit
'Til the work on Earth is done
I call this a hymn because of its theological underpinnings and scriptural basis.  Others may call it a chorus or worship song, and it certainly did make us worship in the car this morning.  We went on to listen to and sing another Keith Green hit, O Lord, You're Beautiful
Oh Lord, you're beautiful,Your face is all I see,For when your eyes are on this child,Your grace abounds to me

Oh Lord, you're beautiful,Your face is all I see,For when your eyes are on this childYour grace abounds to me

I want to take your word and shine it all aroundBut first help me to just, live it LordAnd when I'm doing well, help me to never seek a crownFor my reward is giving glory to you

Oh Lord, please light the fire
That once burned bright and clean
Replace the lamp of my first love
That burns with holy fear
Like the old preacher used to say, if that don't light your fire than your wood's all wet.  We had a great worship service right there in our car, all because of Keith Green's short ministry.  Sadly, his life was cut short in 1982 when he tragically died in a plane crash.

I heard a radio preacher once say that in the afterlife, the various levels of reward in heaven or levels of punishment in hell depend on the extent of influence during your lifetime.  For example, he said, Adolph Hitler is undergoing more punishment than some others in hell because the hatred and violence of his Nazi party has extended far beyond his death.  Contrast that with the ongoing influence of men of God like Keith Green, whose psalms and hymns and spiritual songs still lives on decades after his death.

I hope that God is able to use my writing for His glory for many years after I have stopped breathing.  Meanwhile, every breath I take I want to use for Him.  Even now, Lord Jesus, come quickly; but until that day comes, may You be glorified in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment