Sunday, May 17, 2015

Constrained by Love


Fred- The constrained meaning of LIFE

I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how I am constrained until it is accomplished!  --Luke 12:50 (RSV)

con·strain
kənˈstrān/
verb
past tense: constrained; past participle: constrained
  1. severely restrict the scope, extent, or activity of.
    "agricultural development is considerably constrained by climate"
    synonyms:restrictlimitcurbcheckrestraincontain, rein in, hold back, keep down
    "prices were constrained by government controls"
    • compel or force (someone) toward a particular course of action.
      "children are constrained to work in the way the book dictates"
      synonyms:compelforcedriveimpelobligecoerce, prevail on, require

 I heard a sermon illustration last weekend about a missionary couple to Africa.  They were being interviewed by the BBC (I think), and the question posed to them was something like, "What is it you like about this environment, about being a missionary in a foreign land?"  And the answer was, "I wouldn't say we liked being out here--we so have some sense of sophistication after all.  There is nothing compelling about going into people's hut, sometimes stooping, sometimes literally crawling through goat dung.  But we do it because we are constrained by the calling of God in our lives."

Jesus Himself begged God, "If there is any way that this cup could pass from me."  He didn't want to suffer and die.  But love constrained Him.  "Nevertheless," He said, "Not My will, but yours be done."

After all that He did for us, how can we do any less for Him?


Living for Jesus who died in my place,
Bearing on Calv’ry my sin and disgrace;
Such love constrains me to answer His call,
Follow His leading and give Him my all.
O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

No comments:

Post a Comment